Monday 19 February 2007

Interesting Answers

I have been quite busy at work the last week, but I did ask some questions..

And it seems that most questions can be asked without starting any problems for yourself or put you in a bad position. At least that was my experience during last week at work. The question opens for a dialog and create social relations between the people involved. I asked the questions because I where interested in the answers. This dialog has showed me perspectives from another part of the organisation and it has even influenced that part of the organisation to think a little different (at least it feels that way). A difference in perspective is natural, but with dialog we are able to direct the perspectives and the mental model of both parts involved towards a common one or something you can call an agreement. Or at the very least an understanding of each others viewpoints.

It reminds me of a motto I have: "If you do not tell the person what you think is wrong, how can that person do anything about it?" This meaning that if a person is not aware of his "wrong" behaviour, it will stay that way for a long time. If we have a dialog and talk about the issue we might both gain an understanding of why this behaviour is wrong. It might also be that it is right for him and wrong for you, but from knowing his perspective you can understand his actions.

I will end the post with a few words from Davenport and Prusak (1998), "Start talking and get to work!" (instead of the traditional "Stop talking and get to work!")

No comments: