Sunday 27 January 2008

Work Engagement

In my last post I talked about fear as an obstacle to be productive in development of a software project. Knowledge can conquer this fear, but there is also something else that can make people forget their fear. Engagement!

If you are really interested and motivated in your work you might just not be afraid of the huge codebase and the possibilities of errors and bugs when you do a change to it. In my opinion a motivated person often learn faster and are quicker to pick up on positive changes in their environment.

I often feel an "energy" when doing something interesting and it keeps me motivated. I read different blogs and I buy both management and system engineering books. This keeps me interested because I am constantly learning something new. But it is not what makes me actually tick, what does it is the actual tryout of an idea. Even if you only read it in a book or a blog. Does it work? If it does work it spurs me further in to the idea and I get motivated to continue to try new ideas.

How does one motivate others in the same way? To some extent I think it happens automatically when they are close to, or are working together with a person that has this energy. But is it enough?

My advice is to bring your colleagues or friends to the spot where you get your motivation from! Be an enabler and the motivator. Do not be afraid to bring new things to the table. Enable for others to bring new ideas into the work environment.

A day that nothing new is tried out can be a wasted day.. Can work be performed better for you and your company in any way?


Some of my favourite places to get ideas and inspiration:
The Practice of Leadership
Management Skill Blog
Management Craft
Agile Leadership
XP Meetup
*Technical*
Uncle Bob
(++)

2 comments:

Thomas Ferris Nicolaisen said...

Another place to gather inspiration: JavaPils - next time is tomorrow :D

Thommy Bommen said...

Ah.. I missed that one :)