Tuesday 30 January 2007

Share the information

I have to mention a situation I experienced the other day when riding the train for work, like I do every day.

I am waiting for a train which is announced to be "delayed" ,but decide to move to another platform and try to catch another train. This train also stops at my destination and is scheduled to depart in five minutes. Train arrives and I get in, but when I had been sitting in this train for about ten minutes there is an announcement on the radio, telling the passengers that the train is actually waiting for the train-employee that actually "drives" the train. I thought my decision to change train was still a good one since my first train was probably coming in very late. Minutes came and went.. Another train passed the platform, this third train also stops at my destination, but I then thought that I would not make that one. And I was not about to run out of the train again to catch the other train.

A while after the third train left the platform we where still waiting for our chauffeur and the first train arrived the station. I did not want to move back to that platform either, afraid of loosing both trains while running between the platforms. Ok.. That train leaves as well! Now I was actually getting irritated and wanted more information. The train started moving in about 10 minutes after this. I had spent more than 30 minutes waiting. When the conductor comes for the tickets I ask why we where so late. She said the train driver had been on the first train I was waiting for.. Just this tiny and crucial piece of information could have changed my choices during my wait. (if they had this information earlier themselves of course)

I can just imagine when one is in business situations and that little piece of information is not available to you. All the difference it could make. Projects has to reinvent the wheel because the information is not found or provided to them. You waste both time and motivation on doing tasks that can be done faster and probably easier if you had the right information.

Bottom line is: Share the information!

No comments: